Welcome!

Welcome to my current events blog. Here I will be talking about current events happening around the world!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Six months later, what did we learn from the oil disaster in the Gulf?

Recap:

This article talks about the effects the gulf oil spill had on the United States. What did we learn from it and how will things change in the future because of what is being called one of the largest natural disasters in history. It discusses how the oil spill is an awful thing and everyone wished it hadn't happened but there are some positives that came from the event. 6 months later the US government has put restrictions and changed laws. The government will now conduct surprise oil rig inspections so that people will realize that being safe when drilling oil is the most important. The article also discusses that this could teach people to lower their energy usage. The root of the problem is that people need fossil fuels to live. We need oil and many people as referenced in the article are calling it an addiction. If we didn't use as much energy than we wouldn't need as much oil and this could have prevented the entire oil disaster in the gulf. Many people believe it won't happen again as safety precautions are being taken more and more seriously.

Opinion:

I think that this article was very interesting. I don't think that another oil spill this large will happen near the united states. It's important that the US government monitors safety regulations and obviously that will become their first priority after a spill this large. Another interesting thing is the recommendation that this could lower energy usage. If we didn't use as much energy this whole situation could have been prevented and I thought that was an amazing point because we do use too much. I know I leave the odd light on and I drive somewhere that I could walk and all these things are a waste of energy and after reading this article I think I am going to try to cut down on my energy usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment